Do we really need to go back to a physical office or is Work from Home the best way going forward???
This was a question that would have been a no brainer before the pandemic hit us. Permanent Work from home was really not an option for most.
The question now is…is permanent #workfromhome the best option?
Like a lot of us, I spent 3 months #workingfromhome and I must say I did enjoy the downtime I got because of no commute.
1. I was able to spend quality time with family & friends (over a video call)
2. Complete some value add tasks that would not previously have been possible in the office-home-office grind
3. Enjoy the increased “me” time
However, if this were a permanent state of affairs& I could only communicate with my team over a video call, here’s my take on it:
1. I can’t build “Social Capital” over a video call. The conversation is mostly transactional (There is a reason Face to Face communication is considered the richest medium of communication)
2. I can’t have informal coaching conversations over a video call. (Formal sessions through a blocked calendar have their utility but conversations over a cup of coffee are priceless)
3. I can’t reach out and “be there” if someone really needs the help. (In a physical setting its much easier to help someone tide over a particularly difficult phase)
4. Lastly and possibly most importantly, I can’t replicate the joy of being a part of a team.
An interesting take on Work from Home: